Important Announcements regarding Coronavirus
Useful and Important Information regarding Coronavirus
ACHL and CHL in the media

How to report a repair

CHL carries out repair and maintenance work on its properties to keep your home in good condition. It is important to keep our houses safe and secure, and to extend life expectancy.

All repairs are the landlord or the property owner’s responsibility, however if you the tenant, or one of your visitors to your home caused the damage, the landlord or owner can ask you to arrange or pay for the repair.

CHL undertakes different types of maintenance – routine, urgent and immediate.

Routine Repairs

Are responded to within 14- 21 days depending on the State. Problems such a broken soap holder or a loose shower rail

Urgent Repairs

A response is provided within 24 hours to 7 days depending on the request and State you are in.  (e.g. loss of power, leaking tap)

Emergency Repairs

A response is provided with 4 hours – 24 hours if the issue has an imminent threat to the tenant’s or safety or there is a risk of serious property damage. (e.g. Fire or Flooding). The response times vary in every State.

For complete information on the different kinds of repairs and the repair process read the repair and maintenance factsheets.

How can I report a repair?

CHL relies on its tenants to lodge a repair request to be able to undertake any repair and maintenance work. Tenants should report any repair, however big or small directly to our Customer Service Centre, it is your responsibility to notify CHL as soon as you are aware of a maintenance issue. This is because if it isn’t reported the issue may cause further damage to your home?

You can call or text us on 1300 4 CHL REPAIR (1300 424 573) 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, 365 days of the year. You can also email us at maintenance@chl.org.au or lodge your request through CHL’s online repair request form.

If your repair request is received during business hours your repair request will be processed the same day.

If you choose to email us your maintenance request we will respond to your request the same day. CHL’s business hours are 8:30am – 5:00pm Monday – Friday.

Outside of the business hours we will process EMERGENCY or maintenance requests only. Any requests that are not emergency or urgent will be processed on the following business day.

For leasehold tenants we ask that you do not directly contact either the agent or the owner. Call or come into our office to make a request.

What happens if I lose my keys?

If you lose your keys during business hours you can call us on 1300 4 CHL REPAIR and we can help you by lending you our set of keys, which will need to be returned the following day. If you’ve lost your keys, you can then make a copy of these at you own expense. Similarly so if you lose or damage a remote control or access card well assist you with a replacement, however you will be required to pay the cost.

Should you lock yourself out over a weekend, during a public holiday or at night you’ll need to arrange a locksmith at your own expense, you will also be required to give your landlord or agent a copy of the new key. However if your property is on a bi-lock system, or a restricted access system, you will need to call the after-hours number and you will be charged for a call out fee.


If you are wanting to install an air conditioner, dishwasher, power points or any other appliance or any other type of additional upgrade to the property (painting, carpets, vinyl, shed etc. you will need to contact your tenancy administrator and ask for an Internal/External Works Request Application Form.

Please note if you have installed your own an air conditioner, dishwasher etc., it is your responsibility to have it maintained.


Generally it is the tenant’s responsibility to maintain the garden and clean out the roof gutters and downpipes. Common garden areas will be maintained by CHL and the rent may include a fee for maintenance of common garden, public lighting etc.

Tenants are responsible for changing and replacing consumables such as light bulbs, smoke detector batteries, garage remote control devices and their batteries.