*** NSW/Victorian Bushfire Response ***
Important Information from CHL for people affected by the bushfires in NSW and Victoria



Community Housing Limited (CHL), one of Australia’s leading community housing providers, is set to launch a new ten unit development in Howard Street, Sale after working closely with local community groups.

The development consists of a combination of one and two bedroom apartments plus a common space for social support. Tenancies for six of the units will be nominated by local community group Five Star Project Inc, who will focus on people living with a disability. CHL will manage the remaining four tenancies that focus on assisting low income households.

“CHL has a well-established approach of working closely with community interest groups before entering any local area. Community housing should be seen as a long term resource for the whole community – if it doesn’t house someone you know now, it will very likely be a highly valued home for someone you do know during its working life across the next 40 years,” says Steve Bevington, CHL’s Managing Director.

Five Star Project Inc. will provide social support services using the common space, and have strong links with local Rotary, Sale Council, and the Community Health Service.

As one of nine approved Housing Associations in Victoria, CHL was able to secure 75% of the project funds from the Federal Government, and the remaining 25% from its own funds as well as contributions from Five Star Project Inc.

“Five Star Project Inc funded the building of the common space and will lease it back at a very affordable rent,” says Mr. Bevington.

“Our goal in this project is to contribute to the stock of affordable housing throughout the Gippsland region. The benefits of having affordable housing in the community include keeping local individuals and families close to extended family, retaining vital skills for local businesses and organisations, and retaining a hetrogenous mix of people that is so important to the underlying strength of our communities.”



Community Housing Limited (CHL) is a national and international provider of affordable housing. Its mission is ‘to provide affordable and sustainable housing for all’. CHL is a registered Housing organisation in Victoria and an approved growth provider in NSW, Tasmania, WA and SA. It’s international operations are located in Timor Leste and Chile.

 CHL is a vertically integrated operation that manages the entire housing lifecycle. This includes securing funding, locating suitable land, project managing, designing and constructing, then managing the tenancy for the long term which includes collecting rents and maintaining the property.

 For more information on CHL, contact:

Preeti Daga                                                                              Steve Casey

Media and Communications Coordinator                               Media Liaison

Community Housing Limited                                                  Hand Eye Communication

t   03 9856 0021                                                                      m 0419 206 373

m 0430 555 241


Latest News Releases