CHL WINS ‘EXCELLENCE IN SERVICES TO TENANTS AWARD’ IN NSW
CHL is delighted to be announced as the winner of ‘Overall Excellence in Organisational Development and Partnerships’ at the NSW Community Housing industry’s fifth Awards for Excellence organised last month.
In nominating for this Award, CHL successfully demonstrated its credentials in each of the following criteria’s:
- Evidence of working collaboratively to meet identified needs more effectively;
- The development of innovative and creative business activities, programs or projects;
- Evidence of expanding, developing or restructuring the organisation to achieve identified outcomes.
Delighted at the announcement, Steve Bevington, CHL Managing Directors said, “CHL is committed to working collaboratively to meet housing and other support needs of its clients. To be able to achieve this CHL participates in a number of networks which has enabled us to build over 70 formal and informal partnerships with the local community and key stakeholders. This usually involves all levels of government, tenant representative organisations, social support agencies and financial institutions.”
CHL develops and maintains support arrangements through various avenues. CHL actively participates in interagency meetings, housing forums, focus groups and social development committees etc. Some of our partnerships in NSW have delivered the following results:
- 14 dwellings Affordable Housing Project at Grafton – partnerships with Clarence Valley Council and Housing NSW
- 8 dwellings Affordable Housing Project at Maroubra – partnership with Randwick City Council
- Armidale Home: Young people relocated from Aged Care Services – partnerships with Ageing, Disability and Home Care Services and House With No Steps
- Hastings Youth Workers Network (HYWN) & Hastings Homelessness Network (HHN) have both served to forge solid working relationships between the youth and housing sectors. This has lead to more opportunities for young people to secure and maintain independent housing
- Tenancy Support Service MNC (TSSMNC) – a brokerage service for families at risk of losing their tenancy – has preserved many tenancies from being terminated• In June 2011CHL in Taree in Partnership with the Dundaloo Foundation (Dundaloo supports clients with varying levels of intellectual disabilities) approached Housing NSW to transfer a block of 15 X 1 Bedroom underutilised units to CHL’s management in partnership with the Dundaloo Foundation. Management of the units in 1 Dunoon Street, Taree was transferred to CHL and an agency agreement established between CHL and Dundaloo who support the residents.
- 10 dwellings Affordable Housing Project at Bega – partnerships with non-profit developer Bega Eco Neighbourhood Development (BEND) and tenant co-operative Bega Eco- Neighbourhood Community Housing (BENCH). CHL engaged with BEND formed by local Bega community members to develop an ‘eco-village’ in Bega. CHL consulted with their members and prospective tenants during the initial stages of the design process to gain insights into the most appropriate housing outcomes, both from an ecological and social perspective. When the units were completed, CHL participated in the formation of a tenants’ group, which was named the (BENCH). BENCH provides a forum for CHL tenants to meet, discuss common issues and engage with CHL on property management issues. BEND residents participate in management of common property such as the restoration of Bega River wetlands, establishment of communal orchards on the designated agricultural land improving a sense of community amongst the residents.
- Samaritans Taree and Forster Brokerage service aims to provide a case management model to assist individual and families who are homeless or at risk of homelessness through the use of brokerage, advocacy and referral. It was identified that there was limited appropriate short term accommodation in these areas, particularly for families with children, with complex needs that require support to enable stability towards their housing. As a result of this identified need Samaritans Brokerage Service was able to form a partnership with CHL to access properties for these families as Transitional Housing for a period of 3-9 months where time was provided to address their complex needs.
Community Housing Limited (CHL) is a national and international provider of affordable housing.
CHL is a vertically integrated operation that manages the entire housing lifecycle. This includes securing funding, locating suitable land, project managing, designing and constructing, then managing the tenancy for the long term which includes collecting rents and maintaining the property.
For more information on CHL, contact:
Media and Communications Coordinator
t 03 9856 0050
m 0430 555 241